Select Page

What Consoles will be supported?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Excalibur
    Excalibur
    16-bit

I just heard about this new console, what consoles will be supported? Any chance we finally have N64 be a supported console, none of the other multi-system consoles support it?

Profile photo of fontinele
    fontinele
    16-bit

I would like to know as well.

Would like to see the top ones like the Genesis, SNES, NES, Master System, Game Gear, N64, PSX, etc..

But i would like to see some usually forgotten gems, like the 3DO, Amiga, MSX, etc…

I dont know if we will have some full software emulators, if yes, some arcade and DOS emulators would be awesome.

Profile photo of RetroBlox
    RetroBlox
    Admin

N64 is very technically doable today on RetroBlox’s RK3288 processor, but Nintendo (correctly) filed many, many patents for the system, some as recently as 2001, so it’s not something we’re targeting at this moment in time. The great thing about having a modular system is that we are always capable of supporting additional consoles in the future without replacing hardware, so you can bet we will be there first when a legal opportunity to support N64 presents itself.

We’ll put out an announcement in our Tuesday blog post summarizing in greater detail the packages and options that will be available with the Kickstarter –  but here’s the “currently-announced” lineup in detail:

Modules

– NES

– SNES / SFC (Super Gameboy will work fine for play only – but you won’t be able to back up GB games individually to Richter)

– Genesis / Mega Drive (J) / Mega Drive (E) / 32x  / SMS support via Power Base Converter

– Atari 2600 (7800 is currently not confirmed for support, but will be vetted and confirmed before KS in April)

– PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16 / SuperGrafx

Optical Disc Systems (these can be played without any module inserted)

– PSX (all regions)

– Sega CD / 32X CD / Mega CD (J and E)

– PC-Engine CD / Super CD-ROM / Arcade CD-ROM / TurboGrafx-CD

Additionally, we will be announcing support for at least 2 (possibly 3) more major CD systems before the kickstarter launch.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by .
    Profile photo of Excalibur
    Excalibur
    16-bit

Thanks for the clarification, i hate that it won’t support N64 from the beginning, but I understand the reasoning. But it’s reassuring that it will be supported as soon it legally can be.

A couple other questions I have.

What are the prospects of Sega Saturn / Dreamcast support?

Also in regards to playing games with controller options, since you can transfer games from the original carts / discs, then the Module shouldn’t need to be attached to play games from a particular platform. What are the control options if you don’t have any modules attached, and can you still hook up said platform’s controller without the module attached? Any plans for adapters for those situations?

Can’t you just accidentally sneak out an N64 block and blame it on Trumps hair? ^_^

What about Colecovision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2, Astrocade, Arcadia 2001, Atari 5200?   It would be kind of cool playing a 5200 with digital controls, and what some would find to be better analog controls, even though I like the default 5200 controls in games that are analog.  I like how you can control it right-handed. And Saturn, and Jaguar cartridge w/ CD.  And it’d be a cheap way to get Neo Geo systems (AES, MVS, CD, and Pocket Color).  (Games on the other hand are very expensive.) Dreamcast and newer is probably too soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.